I am a strong proponent of the Wisconsin Idea—that our work at UW-Madison should benefit the university and beyond. My goal for all of my students—whether they are in formal classroom settings or informal mentor-mentee relationships—is that they learn something they will take beyond the classroom, become engaged citizens, and gain one more lens through which to look at the world. To do so, I emphasize learning as a dynamic and reciprocal process and ensure students have safe spaces to learn through reframing topics and adding inclusive material.
I have been a Teaching Assistant (TA) at UW-Madison thirteen times for four different courses, an instructor three times, and have engaged with over 3,000 students. I have either either been the TA or lecturer for the following courses: Introduction to Psychology (four times), Child Development (two times), Human Sexuality (five time TA, three time instructor), and Research Methods (twice).
- Recipient, Graduate Lecturer Award, Department of Psychology, 2018
- Nominated, Innovative Teaching Award, 2018
- Recipient, Graduate Lecturer Award, Department of Psychology, 2017
- Nominated, Innovative Teaching Award, 2016
Presentations & workshops related to teaching
- Brauer Group Lab, Fall 2018: Using R in the Brauer Group Lab.
- University of Wisconsin Teaching and Learning Symposium, Spring 2018: Beyond the binary: Cultivating gender-inclusive classrooms.
- University of Wisconsin-Madison Department of Psychology Fall 2017 Diversity Events, Fall 2017: Beyond the binary: Creating a gender-inclusive classroom. With Morton Ann Gernsbacher & Janet Hyde
- University of Wisconsin-Madison Department of Psychology Social-Area Brown-Bag, Spring 2017: Online teaching: A ‘new’ way to capitalize on the principles of learning.
Consulting work related to gender inclusivity
- Psychology, 560: Child Development with Dr. Karl Rosengren
- Psychology 350: Human Sexuality with Dr. Janet Hyde
- Biology 151/152: Introductory Biology with Dr. Julia Collins
Professional development: Teaching-related
- Teaching Academy Future Faculty Partner
- Teaching Preconference @ SPSP 2018, February 2018
- Active Learning Labs, August 2016 – present
- Attended weekly sessions on active learning and using Canvas as a learning management system.
- Teach Online@UW, August 2016 – May 2017
- Participated in a two-semester long program for learning how to effectively teach online using Canvas. The program heavily emphasized the principles of active learning.
- Distance Training and Learning Conference, August 2014
- Three-day conference on distance learning. Attended sessions focused on active learning in online classrooms and fostering inclusive practices. Conference held at the University Wisconsin-Madison in Madison, Wisconsin.