Skip to main content
- All students will form a 4-5 member Mentoring Committee by the Spring Semester of Year 1. The Chair of this committee will be the student’s advisor.
- This committee serves a critical role in the development and evaluation of a student over their time in the program. This committee will provide advice on course selection, research design, developing timelines, and other issues as they may arise.
- This committee will serve as the evaluating committee for the First Year Project.
- This committee will eventually serve as the dissertation defense committee. As such, it is encouraged to form a committee that will be able to serve in this capacity (i.e. meet all requirements for the dissertation defense committee). However, this is not mandatory.
- Committee membership can be changed at anytime by the student and advisor for any reason. Simply turn in a new form to the Graduate Coordinator.
- The first meeting of this committee should be in the Spring of Year 1 to discuss the First Year Project as well as other aspects of graduate training (e.g. future course selection).
- The committee will meet in the Fall of Year 2 to evaluate the recently completed First Year Project (First Year Project Defense) as well as other aspects of graduate training (future research plans, course work).
- Following Year 2, the committee will meet annually, either in the Fall or Spring, at the discretion of the student, advisor and committee.
- Following the completion of each annual meeting, the student needs to turn in the Mentoring Committee Annual Form