To apply to the PREP program, please visit the UW-Madison Summer Research Opportunities (SROP) online application. There, you will be able to complete Part One and Part Two of the application.
Please note that it is the applicant’s responsibility to provide the Selection Committee with all the completed application parts, consisting of the following:
A. The online application form
B. Rankings of up to 3 summer program(s) at UW-Madison you’d like to apply to, in order of preference. If PREP is your first-choice program, be sure to select it as such. You may apply to as few as 1 or as many as 3 summer programs.
C. Two letters of recommendation obtained from your college professors or advisors who are familiar with your academic abilities and potential to do research. Please ask that they refer to your interest in a career in psychology, as well as the level of opportunities for comparable research at your home institution. Once you submit your application, your references will each be emailed a link to the online recommendation form. Please be sure that the email information you enter for each reference person is correct, and that they are expecting an email from PREP. Recommenders who are having difficulty using the online system may mail or e-mail their letters.
D. Three brief statements. These statements are part of your application to all UW-Madison summer programs you choose in the ranking section.
1. Please write a statement of 3900 characters or less describing how your participation in a summer research program at UW-Madison would contribute to your future goals and career plans.
2. Please write a statement of 3900 characters or less describing which area(s) of research are of interest to you.
3. Although previous research experience is not required to be considered for participation in our summer program, please describe in 3900 characters or less any research experience you may have had in the past.
E. Official college transcript(s) from the undergraduate academic institution(s) you
attend/have attended. Uploaded digital transcripts MUST be in PDF format. Non-PDF
transcripts may be e-mailed to email@example.com.
After you have submitted Part 1, a link to the Part 2 essays will appear. These essays are PREP-specific and MUST be included with your application for you to be considered for PREP. Successful applicants do not repeat their Part 1 essays in Part 2.
1. If you have had prior research experience, how has it contributed to your desire to participate in PREP? If you do not have prior research experience, summarize why. What other factors led you to be interested in PREP?
2. Which Department of Psychology faculty member’s research (http://psych.wisc.edu/people-faculty.htm) interests you most, and why? (Listing more than one is acceptable.)
3. How would participation in PREP contribute to your long-term career plans in psychology?
You can save and return to the online application as many times as you need to complete the process before the deadline of February 15. Your application will be submitted only after pressing the “submit” button.
If needed, transcripts and letters of recommendation may also be sent to:
University of Wisconsin-Madison
Department of Psychology
Attn: PREP Program
1202 West Johnson Street
Madison, WI 53706-1611
Incomplete applications will not be considered.