Welcome! Please review the following information on how to set up your SOAR 2020 advising appointment with a Psychology Major Advisor. The following information is for incoming transfer students ONLY. If you are a continuing UW–Madison Student, please visit our appointments page or go to Starfish to schedule with a Psychology Advisor.
This is an accordion element with a series of buttons that open and close related content panels.
Meet with your L&S (AAS) Academic Advisor First
Transfer students should first meet with their L&S advisor to discuss general education and degree requirements. You should have access to a SOAR canvas course with information you need to complete prior to scheduling your L&S advising appointment. Visit soar.wisc.edu for more information.
Review Psychology Canvas Course Information
BEFORE you meet with your Psychology major advisor, please review our Canvas course – Psychology Advising Site. Go here to join the Canvas course: https://canvas.wisc.edu/enroll/J3P9LY. Alternatively, you can sign up at https://canvas.wisc.edu/register and use the following join code: J3P9LY.
Review the Canvas module titled “SOAR 2020 Information for New Transfer Students.” There are 4 items you need to review or complete before you meet with your Psych advisor.
- View our Welcome Video
- View the Psychology Major Information Video
- Review the Tips for Transfer Students document
- Complete the Tell Us About Yourself survey
If you have issues joining our Canvas site, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
Schedule Your Advising Appointment on Starfish
Schedule your Psych Major Advising Appointment through Starfish for a date/time that is AFTER your L&S advising appointment
How to schedule your Psych Major SOAR Advising Appointment
- Within the Starfish app in My UW, go to THIS LINK to schedule a Psychology Advising Appointment.
- Look for available appointment times with any Psych Advisor in the SOAR TRANSFER blocks only. (If none of those listed times work with your schedule, contact email@example.com for assistance).
- NOTE: If you do not see any SOAR TRANSFER appointments listed, try refreshing your page. We have many appointments available for Transfer Students. If you do not see any SOAR appointments available, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
- Under appointment reason, select SOAR Advising. Under location, select Microsoft Teams Video Meeting.
- Step-by-step instructions for how to access Microsoft Teams is here. Note: All UW students have access to Teams. MS Teams is available through a web browser (you will need to use Google Chrome), so you do not need to download an app or create an account. Your computer/device will need internet access as well as speakers, a microphone, and video camera.
- Your advisor will call you at your appointment time (Central Time), so please make sure you are logged into Microsoft Teams before the start time of your appointment.
What to Expect During Your Advising Appointment
The goal of our meeting will be to review your Fall 2020 schedule and discuss any questions and concerns you may have. We will also discuss how your transfer credits can apply toward major requirements. We won’t be focused on discussing long-term planning during this meeting. Once the Fall semester begins, you are welcome to schedule a meeting to discuss long-term academic planning.
We will also give you permission to enroll in ONE Psych Breadth OR Psych Depth course. These classes may currently appear closed in the Course Search and Enroll App. However, we have seats saved for Transfer students in the classes listed below. If you can come into your advising appointment with an idea of which course you hope to take (including some back-up or alternate options), that will make our appointment more efficient.
Class dates/times/locations are subject to change. Please visit UW-Madison’s Smart Restart website for the most up to date information. (Courses subject to availability. List below updated 7/2/20).
|PSYCH BREADTH (Lecture Only)||PSYCH DEPTH (Lecture + Discussion)|
|PSYCH 405: Abnormal Psychology (LEC 001)||PSYCH 508: Psychology of Human Emotions
(LEC 001 + DISC 301, 302, 303, 304, 307, 308, OR 309)
|PSYCH 414: Cognitive Psychology (LEC 001)||PSYCH 510: Child Psychopathology
(LEC 001 + DISC 301, 302, 303, 304, 305, 306, 307, 308, OR 309)
|PSYCH 449: Animal Behavior (LEC 001)|
|PSYCH 456: Intro Social Psychology (LEC 002)|
|PSYCH 460: Child Psychology (LEC 001)|
More information about these courses, including date/time of classes, class descriptions, and pre-req information is available in the Course Search and Enroll App.
After Your Advising Appointment
After you meet with your academic advisors, make sure to do the following:
- Enroll in your Fall 2020 courses!
- After you finalize your schedule, make sure to go back to your AAS Canvas site to complete the check-out process.
- Continue reviewing our Psychology Canvas Site and our Undergraduate Program page for more information about additional opportunities in the Department.
- You’ll be added to our majors listserv and get our weekly e-letters. Make sure to check and read emails from email@example.com, our shared email account.
- You can declare the Psych major after you complete Psych 202 and after the Fall 2020 semester has begun.