Grievances and Appeals

The Graduate School describes procedures to be followed to resolve a grievance or conflict if you feel that you have been treated unfairly by the department, faculty, staff or another student (see ).

If you are uncomfortable with making direct contact with an individual or your attempts to settle the issue in question is unsuccessful, you should contact the Program Coordinator and/or Director of Graduate Studies within the Department of Psychology. If you are uncomfortable discussing the issue with either the Program Coordinator or Director of Graduate studies, you can contact the Chair of the department. As a student of the Psychology Department, we have made a strong commitment to you and your training. Do not hesitate to talk to the Graduate Coordinator or the Director of Graduate Studies if you are experiencing any problems in our program. 

If you do not wish to speak to someone in the Psychology Department, there are many people who can help you at the Graduate School. The website listed above provides information about different avenues of support and resources outside our department. If you are not sure where to start, we recommend contacting the Graduate and Professional Student Assistance Specialist in the Dean of Students Office ( or the Ombuds Office (