Alumni Profile: Amanda Wisinger ’15

Alumni Profile: Amanda Wisinger ’15
Degree(s): BS Psychology and Biology, UW–Madison
Current Occupation: Graduate Student at The Chicago School of Professional Psychology

What are some of the benefits of your psychology degree?
There are many career options that come from a psychology degree! The skills I have acquired through my various positions as a psychology undergraduate and graduate student have provided me with many opportunities.

How did you find your way to your current profession?
Taking the Criminal Mind Forensic Psychology class with Dr. Patti Coffey. This class inspired me to understand how the human brain works and why people behave the way that they do. She motivated me to pursue a graduate degree in psychology so that I could become an expert in the study of human behavior like she is! As a graduate student, I’ve learned about the field of neuropsychology and recognized that my true passion lies at the intersection of the brain and behavior.

What advice would you give to students graduating with a psychology degree?
Network! Meet as many people as you can. Send cold e-mails to people, ask your friends to introduce you if you have a mutual connection. As I’ve progressed through my graduate studies, I’ve been amazed by how many people I’ve come across multiple times throughout the years. Getting good grades and doing solid work is always appreciated, but there are opportunities that may become available based on connections that you (or your competitor!) has, so always establish as many connections as you can and always perform your best to maintain a good reputation with these connections.

If interested, please list an identity or group membership of which you are particularly proud:
Member of Pi Beta Phi – Wisconsin Alpha Chapter